Kirk:

Have you ever had squirrels chew through non-metallic liquid tight flex?

Thanks,

William Miller

At 10:19 AM 5/15/2009, you wrote:
I just had to rewire an array because of squirrel damage. They chewed the insulation off of the use-2 on almost every panel within 2 inches of the j-box. This was discovered because the inverter GFI kept intermittently tripping, so one of the uninsulated positive leads must have shorted to the grounded array frame, verified by measurements and arcing. At least the GFI did its job…... We found a massive nest underneath the array. And I just got another call from a customer with the same issue, although we don’t know yet if damage has happened. Both these arrays are mounted on Unirac Solarmount, parallel to and stood off from the roof about 6 inches. I’m thinking of skirting the perimeter of the array with a metal mesh of some sort. Any other ideas? Thanks. Most likely they will come back if I do nothing.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar Installer
NYSERDA-eligible Installer
VT Solar Incentive Program Partner

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: will...@millersolar.com
http://millersolar.com
License No. C-10-773985