Fellow Wizards,

We've found enema / douche bags, also known as "combination bottles" to be
"effective" in this application. They come with an valve / shutoff that's simple
and works great. It's a good test of a client's willingness to accept reasonable
suggestions to see if they've got one the next time you visit. Or, you can give
one as a gift. They're available at every pharmacy, everywhere..... right next
to the Vaseline. Seriously. Headlamps are recommended too.

It's just plain crazy to try to use a funnel and gallon jug for this job. It's
the responsibility of the dealer to educate clients on better ways to do it.

I sold one BFS watering system three years ago. I did not promote it as
"automatic" but as "manual but laborsaving". I did say it would save
considerable time, mess, inconvenience and inaccuracy. The client installed it
himself, custom cutting the tubing lengths. The only problem reported to date
was when the client forgot to close the valve to the tubing manifold while he
was distracted by something else he was doing simultaneously. Some cells
overfilled. He took responsibility for spacing out.

It takes only seconds to top off an entire bank of cells. All you do is open one
valve, hang out, close the valve. It's also adviseable to purchase the reservoir
- tubing quick disconnect accessory and use it after every filling. Then... no
worries. Face it, checking electrolye levels sucks. Yet it has to be done.
Anything that makes the job easier is a godsend.

I also use the battery maintainance issue to try to try to convince clients to
minimize the total number of caps in a given bank. This means, if possible
practically and financially, a maximum of 12 caps in a 24 volt system or 24 in a
48 volt system. Of course, this also equates to a single series string and
possibly larger, more expensive cells.

Dick Ratico
Solarwind Electric

--- You wrote:
We found once we removed the BFS watering caps, that the 5 gal jug, and tubing
made an excellent manual filling system.

R. Walters
r...@solarray.com
Solar Engineer

On Dec 10, 2009, at 8:44 PM, frenergy wrote:

>     For all of the rest of us Bozos that still manually water cells, try using
a set-up used by those who have made their own beer.  It's called a bottle
filler in beer making, this is connected to a "racking cane" via 4-6 feet of
3/8" clear tubing. I hang a one gallon jug of distilled water 2-3 feet above the
bank, insert the racking cane (which is just a section of rigid tubing with a
bend in it) into jug, bottle filler is on the other cell-filling end of the
tubing.

>         Once you've started the siphon simply insert the bottle filler into
each cell far enough to start water to flow from jug to cell.  You can easily
watch progress of filling, when full, lift up on bottle filler, distilled water
stops flowing...done. On to next cell.  This method takes me about 10-12 seconds
to accurately fill each of my 1200 Ahr HUP cells in one attempt as filling
visibility is good.

>         Yes, you'll need to change the jug a few times...usually 3 times for
my pack (1200 Ahrs @ 24V).  The shut off on the bottle filler is pretty
positive.

> Bill
> Feather River Solar Electric

is automatic watering systems are unreliable. The watering system that IBE sells
to its forklift customers requires the user to manually turn it on and off
because the feeder cap float valve does not seal tightly and the drips add up
resulting in overfilled cells and a mess.

> Joel Davidson

cells. They only need watering about every 18 months.