*From:* re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org [mailto:
re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org] *On Behalf Of *Bill Loesch
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:36 AM
*To:* RE-wrenches
*Subject:* Re: [RE-wrenches] solar hot water penetration flashing

The coolie caps are really just regular (oversized) caps which have been
punched out to snugly accommodate the pipe to be sealed. Tom Lane's book,
Solar Hot Water Systems, Lessons Learned ..., addresses this sealing method
and many more. AET Solar in Jacksonville, FL stocks this item as well
as almost anything solar thermal you could want.

One solution for exposed rubber or (more precisely) the filler bushing seal
on the combination metal / flexible insert seal Oatey style flashings is
paint. One meticulous homeowner had done that on his '80's vintage system
and the flexibility of the seal was just like new. He identified it as latex
paint. I would want to be very sure that whatever I used on that flexible
material was compatible for many many years since unlike a typical plumbing
flashing which can be relatively easily replaced by simply inserting the
seal over the end of the vent, the loop of pipe, common with SDHW does not
allow that luxury.

Bill Loesch

Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar