Can you say something more about the system?  Is there a PV component?  What
is the size and type of the battery bank?

The thing I am beginning to understand about propane generators is that
there is a problem with Outback charging re: partial load efficiency.  If
the generator/chargers are sized to give a good C/10 bulk charge rate, then
they will be running well below 50% load when they are providing a desirable
absorption phase current. That's extended absorption run times at poor
generator efficiencies. This also plays into having a generator that is
sized for full AC loads and full charger currents. If you design for this
case, but do not have large AC loads during charging, you will be well down
into the 25% load on the gererator, very inefficient with propane.

I have had very good success with my Kohler 30kw REGZ 2-wire start propane
generator in a lower elevation, California foothills location.

What exactly do you mean by harsh environment?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959