Thanks for the input, Daryl~ For now the prospect is considering sufficient
power for a big energy hog home plus outbuildings. They'll probably get over
that soon once the sticker shock sinks in. You asked, "how big a battery
bank and how big a generator?" Mick replies: the whole hog system would
need...guessing...about 500 kilowatt-hours of storage (~14,000 amp hours at
48 volts), 70kW worth of inverter/charger, plus a lot of PV. A 48 volt
generator seems not best because that would involve over 1,000 amps coming
off the machine. Maybe multiple DC generators would be worth consideration.
I see why you are pointing in that direction, Daryl, because if not for the
generator problem the Outback GT system can go large.

Finding a 48 volt generator line with proper end of charge regulation is
another challenge. Can any List member provide feedback on the Canadian mfr,
Mechron?

Much appreciated,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com