I work exclusively with smaller off-grid systems in remote areas. So on-demand heaters are the only thing I deal with....many of these systems are not occupied for lengths of time (fishing and hunting tourist lodges, summer cabins, etc.). A tank heater doesn't make sense in these applications, especially if run only on propane (no solar DHW).

Almost all my troubleshooting calls have been from clients self-installing new fixtures that don't allow enough flow for the heater to turn on....or clogged pump intakes (from using river water and rainwater) doing the same. A leaky pressure pump (it froze up a bit last winter, but she's still a-workin', but the heater don't, what's wrong?) will do the same too--hot water until the pressure tank runs out, and not enough pump to keep up because of the leaks.

Anyway, there are facets of on-demand that are PITA. But it's the way of the backwoods, unless there is also solar DHW....then a tank works.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting