Would the walls of the bale house be considered part of the dwelling and
require careful consideration of whether metallic conduit is REQUIRED on the
DC run? 690.31 (E)

-Glenn Burt

From: re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org
[mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of benn kilburn
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 2:06 PM
To: Wrenches
Subject: [RE-wrenches] Strawbale wall penetration

Wrenches,

Short of contacting the builder, i'm looking for your experiences, practices
and "look-out's" for penetrating a strawbale exterior wall with conduit.

For the project in question there is currently a teck cable from a wind gen
entering the home by sharing a HRV vent opening that i want to fix (not my
original system by the way) and i will also be adding another penetration
for a PV array that i am relocating on the property. The original
penetration for the PV was done properly but its not in an ideal location
for the re-located array wiring.

I'm wondering if it is as simple as using a hole saw extension to go thru
the ~16" wall and use an LB/box on either side.  I'm sure there is some
framework and/or rebar supporting the bales, how do you locate/avoid these
when there are no corners to measure from?  (it is a round home)

Any knowledge if PVC or EMT will react in anyway with the bales?  I'm
thinking that PVC would be best....?

... i am trying to contact the builder to address this, and also to ask a
few choice questions regarding the wiring methods (he?) used in the original
PV system set-up.

Cheers,

benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.