If you have a muni then it's possible, but I'd guess that with most investor-owned utilities they'd just laugh in your face. There are a few utilites out there that have done this- I think that Portland, OR and Seattle have this and we're working on it here in Orlando too.

These links should help:
http://votesolar.org/2010/12/community-solar-coming-to-a-town-near-you/
http://votesolar.org/communitysolar/
http://irecusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/IREC-Community-Renewables-Report-11-16-10_FINAL.pdf

Larry Brown wrote:
wrenches.

I have had several inquires into this possible scenario. anybody have
any experience doing this with their local utility?

several families in a neighborhood or community invest together to put
up a solar array either on an existing building that has excellent solar
access or a ground mount that also has a wide solar window. the system
is set up so that it is configured into sub arrays with each sub array
having an inverter and a kwh meter that records the output of that sub
array. each of the sub arrays is designated (by agreement and the proper
paper work) to a particular family based on how much they invested into
the system. the output of the whole system is then grid tied and all of
the kwh go directly to the utility. it is then just a matter of
accounting in that each of the sub arrays kwh's produced is deducted
from the kwh's used by that particular customer on their home or
business utility bill. So the customer either has a credit that is
carried over or has a balance owed that appears on the next utility bill.

The design and installation is straight forward and in one centralized
local location.
It is only a matter of paper work and accounting.
And it builds community and neighbors get to know each other
Much like Community Supported Agriculture

Larry Brown
Sun Mountain

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette: