  From: Hugh
  To: RE-wrenches
  Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:04 PM
  Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] AGM battery charging, more details

  I am sorry if i seem ungrateful for the many useful ideas that have been
voiced.  I suppose I just like to try to oversimplify things.  At present my
over-simplification is to say that, for opportunity charging, the only thing
that really matters is not to exceed the temperature-compensated absorption
voltage.    Until now I had imagined that it was dangerous to prolong the
absorption voltage stage.  But maybe float is not so important as making sure
that the battery gets enough charge to prevent premature failure.  By the time
the charging current has dropped to the transition current level it is too low
to do any damage and can be prolonged indefinitely (until wind and sun stop
anyway).  This would not work in a grid connected situation, but seems to fit
for mine.  I am sure you guys will point out if I have got this wrong.
--
Hugh Piggott

  Scoraig
  http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk