Jesse:

I have welded up custom ridge brackets. To these I attach a welded ring for tying off and bolt 2X6 to screw in plank jacks (http://millersolar.com/Portfolio/Inverters/battery_iinverters/JB_XW/jb_xw.html).

On steep roofs, I have run 2X6 and/or ladders down to the ground. I clip or screw plank jacks to the 2X6s / ladders.

Good luck. Move slowly and communicate clearly with those you are working with.

William Miller