We have a few Kohler 20kw, 30 kw, and 40 kw  units on big off grid stuff.
Great machines, get about 5000 hours before they need work. 2 wire start, 1800 rpm water cooled. Ours had 4 to 6 cylinder Ford motors. I don't know what they use now, or if they've changed the line recently. I found over the years that oversizing them more, helped everything from cleaner waveform, to running the chargers at full throttle, to having more pass through current, and the fuel efficiency seems to better. This was at 11,000 ft, so you would have to take some of my observations with a grain of salt, but we replaced a 30 Kw unit feeding 4 SW4048s, with a 40 KW, and the customer was happier. You're burning more fuel while running, but the generator seemed to charge the batteries faster, reducing overall run time, and overall fuel use. From looking at many Kohlers on an oscilloscope, they have an excellent waveform, (no funny spikes, like most portable units) so I can't imagine why a Sunny Island wouldn't work well with it, but I never actually used one with a Kohler.

Ray Walters