William:

Like you, I'm unaware of an inverter that functions as grid tied/interactive, to which a battery bank can be added later to the same product.

My guess is that Sunny Boy(s) would be installed first, followed by Sunny Island(s) if battery backup is wanted later.

Same thing could be done with Schneider/Xantrex GT grid tied, followed later with an XW inverter/charger.

Regards,

Gary Willett, PE
Icarus-Engineering LLC

Icarus Solar Services LLC