Wrenches,

A customer dropped off an unusual PV module a couple days ago. It's not a design that I'm familiar with. I'm hoping that the vast wealth of distributed knowledge contained in the RE-Wrenches may recognize it and explain its purpose.

The label looks like a shiny piece of foil, but with light angled on it just right way the name Solarex is visible as are many words on the label template. None of the values are legible. It is a little smaller than a MSX-60. It has 40 cells that are wired in four parallel strings of ten. Open circuit voltage is about 6 volts. Shorted it put out 4 amps in bright but very overcast conditions. I suspect that it would put out 8 to 10 amps at STC. There are two j-boxes, one on each end, with very substantial terminals. It still operates, but obviously it isn't much use for charging a battery, even a six volt one. Anyone familiar with a low-voltage high-current Solarex module.

--
Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.