Jay:

I used to work on electric gates, but infrequently. One gate I had worked on closed on a client's truck and caused extensive damage. Fortunately I had previously informed the client that the gates was unsafe and should be disabled, so I was not held liable.

I decided at that time that occasional work on electric gates would not provide me with the proper expertise to avoid the possibility of serious accidents. Working with a "cobbled" gate actuator may also open liability exposure. If it were me, I would insist on a purpose-built gate package, not Rube Goldberg parts.

William Miller