I would like to follow up on a discussion of under what conditions an
anti-islanding compliant inverter would have problems with the utility power
quality and off grid inverters would have with generator-derived power quality.
I think that Bill Brooks pointed to a document a while ago about transient
events, and we all know (or should know) the +/- 10% VAC and +/- 0.1 Hz
requirements.

Bill would you be so kind as to point us there again? What I would like to
understand is the following: Is there a power quality analyzer (e.g. Fluke 430
Series II) out there can asses power quality and predict compatibility with the
various grid-tied and off grid inverters?

What I imagine is a follows: -- Fire up an generator (e.g. Honda Eu3000iS),
load it down with a reasonable resistive load (e.g. 1,500 kW), and look for
VAC, freq, harmonic distortion, transients -- and come up with a way to assess
whether or not an off-grid inverter would work with the generator. -- Monitor
utility power and provide the same answer for grid-tied inverter.

- Peter Parrish

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D.,
Chair, Alternative Energy and Transportation Technology
College of the Canyons Room 700F
17200 Sierra Hwy. Santa Clarita, CA 91351
peter.parr...@canyons.edu
O: (661) 362-3888 C: (323) 839-6108