+1 on the use of structural screws. We ran an article about lag screws a couple
years ago:

http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP3_4_pg70_Shelly

One of the things that surprised me when I read this manuscript is how variable
lag screws are in terms of construction and quality. Besides the convenience of
being able to drive a structural screw without a pilot hole, the engineering
specs are likely better documented and the manufacturing tolerances are
probably tighter as well.

FWIW: I think that using unflashed attachments in these litigious times is
unwise. It's not consistent with best practices in the construction industry.
It does not meet building codes. It violates the roof warranty. It makes your
competition look good.

We ran our first article on this topic 4 years ago, in our inaugural issue of
SolarPro magazine:

http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP1_1_pg72_Fain

The industry has come a long way since then, both in terms of awareness and in
terms of off-the-shelf flashed attachment options. There are so many quality
flashed attachment solutions to chose from now that I'm not sure why anyone
would knowingly expose themselves to a possible construction negligence claim.

Drive straight,

David Brearley, Senior Technical Editor
SolarPro magazine
NABCEP Certified PV Installer ™