Presumably most solar contractors benefit from increased sales due to the
availability of a 30% federal tax credit. Arguably, that's not the same thing
as "receiving public funds," but the net effect is the same. My point is simply
that as an industry we are dependent upon public support and a variety direct
and indirect subsidies. That raises questions about accountability, about how
those funds are being spent. The best thing that we can do as an industry is
strive to adopt best practices that are beyond reproach, equivalent standards
for other trades, and ideally defensible in a court of law in the event that
things go south for whatever reason. (Forget the bureaucrats in the city, it's
the lawyers who capitalize on construction negligence claims. The last one on
the roof is the first one blamed. Often, we're the last ones on the roof.)