Howie:

I second your frustration with complex menu structures. We have combatted that problem with concise, laminated instruction cards for fundamental operations (Inverter On/Off, Generator Remote Start, Equalization, etc).

More critical is the location in the menu structure of the Charger Mode and AC Drop functions. The screens under the AC In function are way too similar and considerable damage can be done when the wrong button is pressed. For example, we inherited a client that had been in the "Drop" mode for over a year and did not know it. Their batteries became chronically undercharged and it cost them thousands of dollars for a new set.

I have to review my notes on the Mate3, having installed only one, as far as the operator interface. The main advantage to the Mate 3, however may be this: Many of my remote clients do not have phone service but they have satellite internet. If I can plug a Mate3 into the internet and diagnose problems remotely, I can save a lot of travel time and provide a valuable service.

I was just at a remote ranch (the one with the Drop condition) and I installed a data acquisition system to confirm a diagnosis that phantom loads were eating up their PV kWh. The drive time one way is two hours (not counting clearing fallen limbs, etc.). If I could have logged on to a full function, integral monitor and control system, I could diagnose this problem, start the generator and initialize an equalization, all from my desk or smart phone. (The one missing function is checking battery water. A ranch hand can do that.)

Can the Mate 3 do all of this? I am not certain, but if it can, I am going to start selling them to select clients.

William Miller

PS: I have had conversations with Outback about this issue and about providing better manuals. They seem to be very interested in improving.

wm