August,
The 60A breaker is intended to allow grid power to pass through to the loads in excess of the inverter's stand-alone output. The point of 705.12 (moved in the 2011 NEC from 690.64 (B)(2)) is to differentiate between load pass-through current and sell current. The amount of current fed into the grid is (4500/230 =) 19.56A, while the amount that can be taken from the grid and passed through to the load is much greater. If you were limited to a 40A breaker in order to maintain 120% of a 200A main bus, you'd be prone to nuisance trips under large cumulative loads.

Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Positive Energy, Inc.
3209 Richards Lane (note new address)