Uses permitted. 392.10(B)(1) requires that single conductor cable in cable tray
be size 1/0 or larger.

Here's the deal, though. NEC 2014 will add "Service Entrance Cable: Types SE
and USE" to Table 392.10(A). It is not in that table now, which is why
inspectors turn to 392.10(B). That means that under 390.10(A) in NEC 2014, Type
USE conductor can be used in cable tray according to the methods outlined in
Article 338. And references in 690.31 make it clear—if it isn't already— that
PV Wire and USE-2 can generally be used interchangeably in PV systems, and that
cable tray is accepted for source circuit conductors.

So if you ever get called on 392.10(B)(2), I think you can point out that the
Code Making Panels have been busy clarifying that cable tray is okay for source
circuit conductors. Unless I'm missing something....