Mac,
To the best of my knowledge, yes. I believe the most common 4.01 firmware will stack with any firmware above that number. 4.10 and above were designed to work with the GTI for grid-tied use after the year 2000, but should not affect stacking otherwise. I have never tried mixing 4.01 with the earliest Rev 1 (first couple of years) and Rev 2 (very short-lived transitional firmware). Can't remember if there was a Rev 3; not sure if such a thing existed in the field.

As long as you have the stacking cable, it's routine. Limitations include the 32W idle tare; if one inverter overloads, both shut off; there's no master and slave, either will fill that role; set absorption times 0:10 off to avoid the two fighting each other in certain charging situations.

Note that any SW can have later chips installed; it's a set of five. We did this several times years ago, to add EQ capability and 4.01 menu familiarity to some of the earliest units from the mid-90s. Of course, finding a chipset these days could be problematic.
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Positive Energy, Inc., a Certified B CorporationTM
3209 Richards Lane
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
505 424-1112 office 780-2738 cell
www.positiveenergysolar.com