Ray,
The battery-based inverter in an AC-coupled system should not be
grid-interactive. The grid passes through the BB inverter to the grid-direct
inverter(s). The BB inverter is there to create a stable grid-like signal for
the grid-direct inverters when the grid is not present, and to manage the
batteries. Thus, the pass-through AC capability of the BB inverters normally
(there is a complicated work-around) must be able to handle all of the PV AC
output, when loads are low.
You probably are aware, but to make it clear in this thread: the system needs
to have some method to protect the batteries from overcharging, as a result of
the grid-direct inverter output when the grid is down and loads can't use all
the solar energy available. With the Sunny Islands it's done by a signal that
reduces output from the Sunny Boys without disconnecting them. With Outback and
others it's done with a installer-designed relay that disconnects the
grid-direct inverter when the battery voltage gets to a set point. We haven't
done an AC-coupled system with the Radian, yet. Sounds like the remote
controlled breaker is Outback's approved and listed way to do it. About time.

-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Principal
Whidbey Sun & Wind