-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 13:00:15 -0500

Allan:

While having a discussion with the Concorde engineering guys, the subject of a “fully charged battery” came up. As you and I have discussed previously, the Tech Manual states that a battery drawing 0.5% of the 20 hour rating is the definition of fully charged. I have always maintained that something close to 2% was acceptable based on my field observations.

I was told that the .5% only applies to new battery. As the battery ages, it becomes incapable of reaching that low number. The process is a curve, and is impacted by multiple parameters including temperature, average depth of discharge, etc.

I decided to revisit some projects that are in  the 5-10 year old range and they all seem to bottom out much higher than .5% of the 20 hour rating. I couldn’t find a single value among them, but they were certainly well above 1.5%.  I’m hearing different things from different people, but I would appear that the number may climb with additional years of operational life.  When I have the opportunity, I’m going to check some older, fully functional battery banks.

Good reason to have a time limit for absorption………..

Probably “old news” to you – but I thought I would pass on what I’m seeing.

Best,

Marc Kurth

Centex Batteries

704 Highway 71 West - B100