Mac,
Trace made both the SWI/PAR parallel stacking and a series stacking cable. I don't know if stacking four units in series/parallel is possible. I never investigated it, and the manual (Rev. 4.01) doesn't address it. I suspect that it's not possible, from this section on page 96:
The parallel stacking interface cable (SWI/PAR) simply plugs into the stacking port on the left end of each
inverter and allows the two inverters to operate as a single inverter. The interface method is based on the
series stacking system offered for the SW Series inverters since their introduction for the North American
market. The parallel stacking system operates the inverters in phase by having one of the inverters
operate as the MASTER and the other as a SLAVE. When an AC source is connected, the MASTER first
synchronizes to the AC source, then connects to it and battery charges. Since the SLAVE follows the
master and is set-up with a longer warm-up delay, the SLAVE inverter is already synchronized when it
transfers the loads and starts battery charging. This allows very smooth transitions from inverter mode to
charger mode.
I'd interpret this to mean that the SWI/PAR cable uses the only stacking port available.

But the bigger issue is this: must you change it? It doesn't matter that one pair works hard and the other rests unless the hardworking pair aren't up to the job. Unless you have overload shutdowns, there's no benefit to parallel stacking, and you're messing with obsolete legacy hardware that's not supported and for which parts and service will be difficult to obtain (good luck finding a pair of SWI/PAR cables...). I'd advise against changing the system configuration if there are no problems now - it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Just my $.02...
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@positiveenergysolar.com
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder, Positive Energy, Inc.

A Certified B CorporationTM
3209 Richards Lane