My 2 cents worth here says that this PID problem is the same as the negative ground problem that occurred with the Sun Power modules that wanted to be positive grounded. Last I heard, from Sun Power was that they have basically gotten around that issue and are "ground agnostic" as either Sun Power or Bill Brooks says. Transformer-less or non-isolated inverters are used with an un-grounded PV array and I think that is what Zachary Strassman is talking about in his reply to the question.

I do not see the answer to the question about AC line frequency ripple though which
would be 120 Hz (US) or 100 Hz for a 50 Hz grid system at the PV module.

The ungrounded part makes sense but as far as TL inverters vs. inverters with transformers, both topologies should try to keep the PV voltage right at maximum power point voltage. If they do that to extract as much energy as possible from the array, there will be little to no 120Hz or 100Hz
ripple...  If the inverter is designed correctly anyway.

boB