Drake,

As far I know you are correct. There have not been any firefighter deaths due
to solar.

However, a fire chief in New Jersey did suggest that he let a warehouse burn
down due to the presence of a PV system on the roof:

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/23313172/multiple-alarm-fire

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2013/09/why-firefighters-are-scared-solar-power/6854/

That suggests to me that while there is no crisis today, there is certainly the
potential for one down the road. Imagine the insurance industry's response if
fire fighters make a habit of not responding to structural fires due to the
presence of PV systems. Fire fighters want touch-safe PV modules. And they have
a reasonable complaint. They can safely shut down any electrical system in a
building—except for PV systems.

SEIA and SEPA are the solar industry lobby. Please do engage and support them.
SEIA even has a political action committee, the SolarPAC. Part of the way that
I try to stay on top of evolving Code issues is by attending SEIA- and
SEPA-sponsored events.

Also, over the past 4 or 5 years, the Solar America Board of Codes and
Standards has scheduled annual meetings that coincide with Intersolar. Those
are very informative sessions. I think the sessions are even archived online at
solarancs.org.

David Brearley
Senior Technical Editor, SolarPro magazine
david.brear...@solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545