1. I'm interest in a poll of installers who are using flashings vs sealant. Now
that the flashing market has evolved, what are you using today? When did you
switch to flashings (if you did). And why not, if you still prefer sealant.

2. Is there a any code defense for sealant systems ? (L-foot sealed down to
shingles). Does anyone know of a scientific shootout between sealants and
flashings?

Here is my view: The construction industry is slow to evolve. Sealants, clauks
& adhesives are not trusted in general, due to the legacy of code, and we have
a mechanical vs. chemical industry bias.

There is something about seeing a flashing that says, that is a "professional
job", it must comply with code. And yet, my experience says I'd trust a 50-year
silicone over a flashing that depends on gravity. Gravity should be dependable
right? But anyone in snow country can tell you in spring, water can go uphill
after ice dams form. There are high-rise buildings that use "structural
glazing" which is just glass and silicone. These systems are now getting to be
50 years old without issue.

The cost of flashings have come down in the last few years, but so has the cost
per watt of installs. With 50 feet in a typical install around here that is
$150 in feet, lags & silicone. Or $1500 in flashings, and extra labor. That can
be a large part of a bid, and make you more expensive in a competitive
landscape. That is fine, if it adds value... but I personally don't see the
proven value, other than the "appearance" of code defensibility. Anybody have
proof?

thanks,

Troy Harvey