In talking with some of the tech/sales heads at Schneider, they tell me that they consider the surge capacity of the XW6048 to be equivalent to the Radian. As they see it, they have been more conservative in their ratings, and this has been to their detriment in public and installer perceptions.

I haven't tried this, but I would expect it to work fine. Historical rule of thumb (initially courtesy of Windy) has called for 2.5 kW of rated inverter capacity per submersible pump hp for mod-square and 2 kW per hp for sine wave. In years past inverters were smaller, thus leaving less reserve for whatever else was running at the same time. Given that, nobody (of which I'm aware) tried to start a 3hp capacitor-start (conventional) sub pump on an inverter of those days.

If you try it please post the results. Many of us would benefit from your experience.
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@sindelarsolar.com
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
505 780-2738 cell