Ray,

In VT and NH, at least, electrical apprenticeships are defined and regulated by
the state. Apprentices must be registered and enrolled in approved formal
coursework as well as meet specific employment requirements for paid, hands on
work in the field.

Dick Ratico
Solarwind Electric

--- You wrote:
I don't understand; are there legal reasons to not call it an
apprenticeship?  (sounds like indentured servitude....?)
When I got started in the biz, I would have loved to been offered an
apprenticeship.  Instead, I went out in the woods while my family
suffered through my well intentioned, but misinformed experiments. After
many years I got better, but I still had no one to sign off for my
license or NABCEP.
The next generation of installer does not need to suffer  ( at least as
much)

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician
Solar Design Engineer
303 505-8760

On 4/28/2015 6:52 PM, Chris Mason wrote:
> I think you should describe the job as a trainee. You can do anything
> you want after that. Just don't call it an apprenticeship.
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Ray Walters <r...@solarray.com
> <mailto:r...@solarray.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Bob;
>
>     That's an excellent point. I'm trying to figure out what is a fair
>     arrangement:  4 years of training is worth quite a sum of money
>     vs. 4 years of labor in the off grid mines.
>     Straight up $10/ hr and I'll train them for as long as they can be
>     trained with raises as they reach milestones like: they can go on
>     a troubleshooting visit on their own.
>     I think some off grid living experience is a prerequisite as
>     mentioned before, also they've got to be able to deal with basic
>     math and electrical equations.
>     Any other prerequisites before I create an unobtainable person?

--- end of quote ---