i have had this happen, but only with one very elderly customer who didnt know
what he was doing. he is 93 now, and has wisely hired a neighbor to maintain
his system.

having people "press buttons" who dont understand their function or correct
settings is a recipe for problems. a ruined battery bank is an expensive lesson.

in all my years of designing and building systems (mostly all off-grid) i only
had one customer who was so challenged with flying the system, that after she
destroyed two sets of battery banks in 5 years, she decided living off-grid was
too complicated, and she moved back to town. she rented her place and the
renters actually operated the system with no problem.

the point is, some people are better at understanding and operating a
battery/inverter/solar system than others. sure, the MATE could be easier, but
i have never had any difficulty navigating and changing the menu settings and
options. usually it is "operator/customer error".

todd

On Saturday, July 11, 2015 12:30pm, "William Miller" <will...@millersolar.com>
said:

> Friends:
>
> How many of you have customers who have accidentally engaged the "drop"
> function
> or disabled all battery charge functions whilst simply trying to stop a
> generator
> or EQ cycle? I have seen customers ruin battery banks by mistaking these
> functions.
>
> I think it is a big mistake to put these similar-appearing functions
> together. The
> drop and charge functions really should be behind a password or deleted
> altogether. Either function can be accomplished by opening the correct circuit
> breaker.
>
> I am engaged in a conversation with Outback strongly encouraging them to fix
> this
> problem. More voices would help.
>
> William Miller

> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org