I have been contacted by the inverter sales rep that provided this product
to us and he has asked that I clarify the situation.

first off the HiQ inverter system used was test equipment from the
manufacturers so it may not represent their current product line.

This project is located in Redway ca where we get an average of 58 Inches
of rain a year.  (predominately in large storms with high volumes of rain)
The inverters were installed using S-5! brackets on standing seam metal
roof so the balancers were not oriented vertically.  (company rep was on
site for installation and had no issues with the orientation.)
This was a small system of 12 modules and we used 3 balencers.  If I
remember correctly the balencers have space for 4 modules so the final
opening was sealed by method recommended by manufacturer.
We had repeat failure of a single balencer (in the same location) due to
water damage on the inside of the equipment.
It was suggested that the cause of this water was due to a pore seal on one
of the MC4 connections that allowed water to "wick" through the connection
and into the inverter.

Here is where the manufacturer rep and I part ways.

Upon replacing the inverter a second time we checked connections and MC4
seals and found nothing indicating water or corrosion due to water damage
and thus we did not replace them. This is what the manufacture is stating
caused the inverter to fail the third time and perhaps it was.  At the end
of the day we ended up replacing the HIQ system with a string inverter and
have had no issues with the system.  (we did check the MC4 seals and
connections again and found no corrosion or water.)

Perhaps it was a connection issue and we just haven't found the proper
connection causing the problem, and over time it will show it self.

I did not mean to disrespect the company and the product line, it was
simply my intention to share my experience with the product that we had
with others in my field so that they might avoid similar headaches for
other installers.

I hear that they no longer use balencers and are just a string inverter
manufacturer at this point.  So perhaps the whole experience was of value
 and the issue that we experienced was solved.

there are obviously many other locations out there that have functioning
inverters from HiQ without this problem.  The fact that the same balancer
failed 3 times is suspicious and does point to some sort of environmental /
installation reason.

just wanted to outline the full story as I was not trying to sling mud,
just trying to share our experience.

cheers-
Daniel

Daniel Tittmann