Bill,
If you are looking for a less sophisticated and less expensive unit, I recently purchased (on Amazon) a Seek Compact Thermal Imager that plugs into the port on my iPhone for $236. A downloaded app runs it, and it shows thermal images on the phone's screen. To date I have done little more than test it out; it showed thermal images very well, and may be all you need for troubleshooting. I think the phone can photograph the images for a record.
Allan

Allan Sindelar
al...@sindelarsolar.com
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
505 780-2738 cell