Bill,
I concur with Jay. Some of the older top loaders, especially Maytag, were known as problem loads in the early days. In the 80s Windy Dankoff developed a kit to run the controls off of mod-square inverter AC but adapt a DC motor to spin the agitator and tub. Inverters of that time couldn't handle the surge. I would not expect any high-frequency-switcher inverter like the Samlex to handle an older toploader. A better modern washer makes more sense than an oversized transformer-based inverter for that one load.
Allan

*Allan Sindelar*
al...@sindelarsolar.com <mailto:al...@sindelarsolar.com>
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
*505 780-2738 cell*

**