Hi Drake,

What chemistry of li-ion batteries are you talking about? Some, like LiFePO4,
are far less prone to thermal runaway as they have superior thermal
characteristics. Other chemistries should be avoided unless you have
significant cell level monitoring and control.

As with all batteries, when any one cell in series with other cells becomes
fully intercalated (think of a lead acid cell in saturation), that cell voltage
will rise above the others that are still absorbing current. With lead
batteries this means off gassing and heat buildup of that cell. With Li-ion
cells, especially at high charge rates, this can produce a fast temperature
buildup. Some Li cells have pressure valves built in, much like valve regulated
lead batteries do. High temperature will cause pressure from boiling the
electrolyte. The vent opens to release pressure and lower the internal
temperature, hopefully. This stopgap greatly improves safety but may not be
sufficient to prevent thermal runaway.

If all cells are matched for capacity and balanced, a good practice is to under
charge them. There is no reason ever to fully charge a lithium battery and
stopping short is a good practice for any Li chemistry. But this alone is not
enough. If you want to be more safe, monitor each cell voltage AND temperature
and turn off charging before any 1 cell exceeds the specification for that
battery type. This is done with a BMS. Our systems all have BMS controls which
I believe makes Li-ion batteries safer than lead acid. In lead acid battery
systems I have seen thermal run away and several explosions.

Beware: Notice above I said “more safe”. There are conditions that can make a
Li cell very dangerous, especially with a used battery, that you can’t tell
from any non-destructive testing method. Study the formation of dendrites.

This subject is too vast to discuss in an email, so I recommend that you study
much before you proceed. Many others have been where you are now and have paid
a very high price for assumed understanding.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(4+ years studying, designing and installing Li-ion energy storage systems)