I am going to be working with a group of high school students this summer
who have very limited prior solar experience.  We will be installing a small
off grid PV system (1.9kW) and small wind turbine generator (400W to 1kW).
I plan on using three Morningstar Trimetric controllers, one to control
charge of the PV array to the battery bank, a second as a load control
relay, and a third as a dump control.  I can connect all the Morningstar
controllers together on an RS485 bus and connect to the solar charge
controller via an Ethernet link to the local area network.  The Morningstar
controllers will be monitored via a classroom computer, and they will be
able to give me Ahrs in from the solar array, Ahrs to the load, Ahrs to the
dump load, but not the Ahrs in from the wind turbine generator.  My question
is, how can I add monitoring of the wind turbine Ahrs that goes to the
battery?  I will need something that can get to the local area network.
Wifi or direct broadcast may be difficult because I have to go through the
electronics cabinet and two brick walls.

The only thing I can think of is to add a Tri or Penta Metric from Bogart
Engineering, which would duplicate the info the Morningstar controllers
would give me, but could add the Wind Turbine Generator as well, but perhaps
there is a better way.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike Kocsmiersky

Spirit Solar