Yes!  And the IFC and IRC both allow local fire officials to basically
require, or allow, whatever they want (Exception 2 to IFC 1204.2 and IRC
R324.6).

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
520.204.6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org

SEI Professional Services