-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: [RE-wrenches] Rapid Shutdown and January 1 2019 option?
Date:   Fri, 6 Jul 2018 16:37:47 -0600
From:   Ray <r...@solarray.com>
To:     Rebekah Hren <rebekah.h...@gmail.com>

Hi Rebekah;

I very much appreciated your previous posts on this. Yes, we do not need to disconnect the inverter and battery per previous interpretations.  However, the RS system can and will trip for a variety of reasons, which disconnects the charging system.  It might take a couple of days to discharge the batteries, but the results are the same: rotten meat in the fridge and a dead battery.  If no one is home, thousands of dollars of battery could be ruined in a matter of weeks, if its Gel or AGM.

If we get to a point where all the modules have shut down built in, and the Controllers also have built in disconnect so their capacitors don't back feed, then it won't be so hard to comply with 690.12.  In the mean time though, off grid should be given a clear exemption based on array size and Voc of the array.  We are often only wiring 2 modules in series, so we are already well below 100 v.   Rules designed for 600 v arrays should not unilaterally apply to everyone, just as 600 VAC rules don't all apply to 120 vac residential.  There are numerous exemptions for lower voltage AC situations, we are just asking that the same thinking be applied to PV.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760