I recommend the hydraulically pressed ballast block over the non hydraulically
pressed kind.

From: cwarfel [mailto:cwar...@entech-engineering.com]
Sent: Monday, July 2, 2018 1:08 PM
To: re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] crumbling ballast blocks

I am not trying to prolong this thread, but I do want to say that there should
be an inspection of the blocks in freeze/thaw areas.  We started an inspection
program of our systems or systems in the area and although we don't install
ballasted systems, we found enough other things to address. On my own 8 year
old system zip tie failure was over 50%.  It opened my eyes to the need to do
these inspections, and spec better materials at the start.

I remember the survey in Wisconsin regarding the inspecting of fairly old solar
thermal systems.  All the participants really seemed to love their systems, but
I think over 3/4 of them were not working.