Hi Marco,

SMA may have a solutions for this called the PV offset box.  I think it
would allow the negative ground without the degradation.

http://files.sma.de/dl/15437/PVOFFSETBOX-DEN1444-V10web.pdf

I have never used this but thought it was an interesting product.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Marco Mangelsdorf <ma...@pvthawaii.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> I'm talking about the need to ground one of the current carrying
> conductors back to earth, not the metal equipment frame.
>
> The SunPower pre-Maxeon cells required that the positive conductor be
> grounded. Which is not possible with TL inverters.
>
> There's no safety issue to let these older SPR arrays float. But the so
> called surface polarization effect equals an output loss of 25 or more
> percent.
>
> As transformer based inverters fail, us SunPower dealers will be in more
> and more of a pinch.
>
> marco
>
> On Friday, August 10, 2018, Jerry Shafer <jerrysgarag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Marco
>> Am I missing something, all arrays are grounded even in Hawaii, I have
>> systems using the SMA Tripowers and ABB Trios, they are required to be
>> grounded and tested as so. Now if the modules "Leak" this can cause
>> resistance leaks in the array, its like a GFI. I have had issues with
>> inverters in Hawaii along with other areas tripping out due to low
>> resistance to earth, it can be the backing leaking, also from the edge of
>> the module. SunPower Modules are still grounded just on the other side.
>> Jerry
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Marco Mangelsdorf <ma...@pvthawaii.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> I’m in need of a vintage Xantrex 30 kW (PV 30208) inverter.
>>>

>>> Anyone happen to have one or know of someone who might?
>>>

>>> Can’t use a TL because the array needs to be grounded.
>>>

>>> Mahalo,
>>>
>>> marco

>>>  Virus-free.
>>> <#m_-328387555879471101_m_-8959875205440361245_m_2606966111131649740_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

>>> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org
>>>
>>> Change listserver email address & settings:

>>> List rules & etiquette:
>>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>>
>>> Check out or update participant bios:
>>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

> List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*