I agree that an inverter is your most viable voltage converter. There is no good reason to go DC to DC that I can see.  The other option would be to switch the array to operate the pump directly. Use a Charge controller that operates the array at the same voltage the pump needs to operate at, and have an array transfer switch from CC to pump.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760