I would think it has to be frequency. What else could shift the time?  Up until about 2 years ago we were a grid isolated system and no one could use a plug in the wall clock. It takes just a very little off 60 Hz for a clock to keep incorrect time. Being off .5 Hz will result in 42,300 cycles in one day. When I worked in power plants the frequency was a digital display to the 6th place I think. The operator said if that decimal place was off by more than 2 from ISONE, it would trip off line. The steam turbines would be destroyed otherwise. Chris