hi folks--
We're installing a grid-tied, battery backup system on a farm where the service
entrance is on a pole in the yard. At the single-phase, 240v, service entrance,
there are two main breaker subpanels--one going to the house and one to the
barn. The buildings are each about 100 feet away from the pole in opposite
directions. The PV/battery system is located in the barn. When utility power is
lost and the battery backup kicks in, we are looking for a way to bypass the
house subpanel at the pole so it won't backfeed the grid.

When the grid drops out, we need to tie the backup power coming from the barn
to the line going to the house. We're thinking an automatic transfer switch
installed at the pole will do the job, but the transfer switches seem to have
built in delays to work with starting a generator. The switch does not have to
be service entrance rated.

It looks like the Asco 300 series has time delay adjustments, but it is pricey
and has a seven-week lead time. (Thank-you PG&E)

The battery backup system will switch over in milliseconds and we were hoping
to find something similar for the transfer operation at the pole.  We're
looking for something simple--hopefully a basic transfer switch that will
quickly switch and drop out when grid power is restored.
Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

 regards, bill
Bill Hennessy
Berks Solar, LLC
371 Centennial Rd