Even with battery balancers, battery tapping is still a really bad idea.  I know, I did it on my own system in the 90s.  The DC/DC converters are the way to go, but be sure and over size it by a fair amount to handle the fridge starting surge. Unfortunately my favorites are no longer available: made by Solar Converters in Canada. I've seen them last decades.  Iota should be good stuff, their chargers have long term reliability.  Samlex inverters have been around for quite a while too, but I don't have long term experience with their converters.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760