Ron,  I installed a lot of the Bergey XL.1 until they stopped production.
I just replaced blades on one last week and my first install of one of the
first ones manufactured in 2001 is still working fine.  We took in down
about 10 years ago for preventive maintenance and replaced the brushes and
blades though both were still in good shape.  Most problems have been
blades, brushes and a few tower failures mostly due to customer neglect or
violent storms.  I installed a Pika
1.6 kw at my home about 4 years ago and fell in love with that machine.
Pika solved the Blade root attachment weakness found on the Bergey as well
as sound issues and performance.  Unfortunately they stopped production due
to low sales.  I ran mine for a year and a half and almost eliminated my
generator in a low wind speed site but att he same time saw it perform
flawlessly in high winds putting out well over 2500 watts and regulating my
batteries at float with no dump loads needed.  I got my first order for one
and called Pika to order one but they had already stopped production and
were not going to make any more.  I had sold a customer a complete upgrade
of his system which included upgrading from a Xantrex SW Plus to dual
Outback inverters, going from 24v to 48v, and directly replacing his Bergey
with a Pika, and new Aquion batteries.  Sine we had already done the rest
of the system, I ended up selling mine to him to keep him happy.  I dearly
miss that machine.  Since Pika sold out to Generac, I’m hanging on a
glimmer of hope that the turbine production could be resurrected.

Otherwise, the only new turbine I have installed is a 1 kw SuperWind, made
in Germany.  It is on a 40’ tilt up guyed tower on a mountaintop
transmitter site.  It has performed as expected with the only problem being
susceptible to icing and the blade hub freezing to the nacelle.  It is all
white so the sun can’t help defrost it.  Very nice workmanship but it also
has a controller and dump load In addition to pitching blades.   Similar
cost as the Pika.    I don’t have any data on how much the dump load has
interacted with the controller.  This is a high wind site.  I’m not sure
how it would perform in low winds.  We put it up in November and it
survived the winter.  If you could find a used Pika, that would be my
choice but I haven’t found one yet myself.  Let me know If you find
anything else.

Wind Wrenches out there. ... respond !

John Blittersdorf
CV Wind Service