If its attached to the building then its subject to 690.12.  Is he also making you comply with rapid shutdown?

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760

On 7/20/20 2:01 PM, Kirk Herander wrote:
Hey Dave,
Well my building inspector is just being a dick about the "need" for a fence surrounding the side of a wall-mount PV awning. He has mis-classified it as a ground-mount per NFPA 1 rules, which requires 10' clearance for ground mounts, and doesn't care about wires being accessible or not. This is Burlington VT after all.

On 7/20/2020 2:45:04 PM, palumbo1...@gmail.com <palumbo1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Much like Sam’s but accomplished with plastic composite lattice. This pic is from 2011. The zip ties are stainless steel core.

We operated only in Vermont where only 3 systems were inspected out of over 500 installs, this wire screening was not required. But I felt that we should be doing work up to a reasonable national safety standard, and 2 of us were NABCEP certified.

David Palumbo

462 Solar Way

Hyde Park, VT 05655

*From:* RE-wrenches <re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org> *On Behalf Of *Sam Haraldson
*Sent:* Monday, July 20, 2020 1:16 PM
*To:* RE-wrenches <re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
*Subject:* Re: [RE-wrenches] protecting wire below 8' w/awning array

Much like Ray we have interpreted this protection to mean the "dangerous" parts of the solar and not the module frame.  As such we employed plastic "deer fence" Tek screwed to some racking components in one array where the client wished for more tamper-resistance at the point where the conductors were close to the ground.

Another solution similar to this is employed by All Earth Renewables for their ground mount arrays that employs a tasteful looking piece of opaque coroplast.  It rests along the backside of the modules to keep people's hands from touching conductors and looks a little cleaner than a piece of mesh.

*Sam Haraldson <mailto:s...@onsiteenergyinc.com>*

Installation & Service Manager

Image removed by sender. <http://www.onsiteenergyinc.com/>

Image removed by sender. <https://www.facebook.com/onsiteenergysolar/>