Dearest off-gridders,
             OK, many of you micro-hydro fanatics on the west coast are stuck inside with all the smoke, time to put on your tin foil thinking caps....

            I brought this up some time back but got little (zero maybe) feedback.  I'm hoping there are some other micro-hydro folks out there that have figured out how to marry a Harris pelton, to a L-ion battery for charging.  Outputs vary with rainfall/snow-melt from 3 amps to 28 amps (24V).  Over the years with LA batteries, I've simply used a Trace C40 PWM CC between the battery and mondo load resistors (two configurations due to varying hydro output).  Of course sometimes the output and resistor load did not match and I'd be sending 2,3, maybe 4 amps to the 1270 Ahr Battery which at times was already floating.  This system is also fed with about 2800 watts of PV, ala FM80 CC.

            This must not have hurt the battery too much as they are 17 years old and still pretty happy.  However, L-ion is not going to be happy with this configuration and would require some way to provide a perfect match of hydro output to dump load when it reaches its full charge to insure its not over-charged (AKA destroyed). Will a Classic deal with this?  Other ideas?  Experience is golden.

Bill

Feather River Solar Electric
Bill Battagin, Owner
4291 Nelson St.