Hi Jeremy,

I run into situations this this all am the time. Misinformed DIY work
strikes again. Luckily, as PV installers, we have an out. We can quickly
and easily point to the NEC and tell the customer that there are certain
codes and standers we must adhere to. Siting code infractions and giving
tangible pathways of corrective measure is key. Outlining a game plan in
writing and explicitly listing what is not included in your scope of work
(i.e. everything downstream of the MDP) is an important step in documenting
the process. If the customer refuses these upgrades or wants to cut
corners, don’t lose sleep over it and move on with life. You’ll be better
off for it.

Best,

Chris

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 7:32 PM Jeremy Coxon <jco...@sunwindpowerinc.com>
wrote:

> Thanks guys, it was more of a check to see if I’m just being too, oh I
> don’t know - cautious.  We get a fair number of these calls and we do
> exactly as you all do, i.e. either start over or pass more often (these
> types of systems are done in shoe strings anyway so they don’t want to hear
> our answers or prices).  Maybe 15yrs ago I would have helped out, but lots
> of hard knocks since then.  I will add that it’s a really sad state of
> affairs when we come across these and they weren’t just homeowner DIY,
> instead they were “installed” by other solar contractors.  That’s a whole
> different story.  I always seem to hang on to pics like this, some kind of
> morbid fascination I guess.  They make great slide show material as a
> compare and conrast.
>
> Jeremy Coxon NABCEP
> Certified MWBE
>
> Sent from my iPhone