William,
   I agree with you with Radian, Fortress and just add a subpanel identical
to the main grid panel as close possible. Put all critical loads on sub and
larger loads on grid panel.  Being side by side, swapping circuits is easy.
I also install an iota charger for generator redundancy. OpticRE works
great for monitoring.

John Blittersdorf