Hi August,

I misunderstood James' question a bit at first, but having reread it I
would agree that shingles are still subject to softening and potential
tearing when they are new and the time is hot. I used to judge the relative
success of our roof protection measures by the amount of aggregate found in
the gutter at the end of the installation. It is remarkable how much less
skidding occurs - and subsequently how much less aggregate gets displaced -
when you are wearing Cougar Paws. In that sense at least, I believe their
"good grip" does help to protect the roof, no matter the weather (hot,
cold, etc.) or shingle age.

BTW, I like the walking-on-rice-paper analogy. I would make that video
mandatory viewing for each crew member before they climb the ladder on the
first day of a hot day/new shingle installation - not to influence their
working/safety habits, but just so that they keep the "soft step" mantra in
mind. Sometimes you can only do so much, though, and if it looks like
shingle damage is going to be a real problem then it might be best to have
a realistic conversation with the customer and propose delaying the project
a few months?

--
Corey