I recall seeing something like that in an old Home Power magazine article.  I've done a few odd ball conversions, and that seems like a good one to play with.  Its not a "daily driver", not going long distances or long hours, weight isn't a huge issue, and so lead acid batteries might not be out of the question.  Constant speed too, so you might not need a super PWM controller.  I'd consider something in the 12 to 24 v range, and just go old school with a heavy duty knife switch or over sized relay.  If you start it with the tines in the air, it shouldn't have a big starting surge.

Or you could go 21st century, with 48v, Li+ PWM controller, etc....  Another option to consider is using existing Li+ battery packs, like Ryobi's 40 v lawn mower packs.....

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
303 505-8760